CK-12’s mission is to provide free access to open-source content and technology tools that empower students as well as teachers to enhance and experiment with different learning styles, resources, levels of competence, and circumstances.
To achieve this noble and ambitious vision, we at CK-12 are challenging the traditional model of education to transform it dramatically. Technology has opened up lots of opportunities to revolutionize education for the benefit of students, teachers, and parents.
We have chosen to be non-profit so that we can effectively realize our mission and so that we can do the right thing! It also provides us the ability to experiment with big and bold ideas. CK-12 is backed by Vinod Khosla, a renowned technology venture capitalist.
At CK-12, you’ll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, innovative and non-bureaucratic environment where you will get a lot of cool things done than you ever imagined! We are a small group of passionate folks who are determined to disrupt the current form of education. We came together from companies such as Apple, eBay, Amazon, McGraw-Hill, and startups.
Technology is key to scale education and we deeply believe in it. Come develop great solutions on our cloud-based (AWS) AI-first platform delivering rich and interactive content.
Does our mission, people and technologies excite you? If the answer is YES! and you are a great technologist who will challenge status-quo (no order takers please!) by innovating, please come join us! Together, we will change the world!
- Extract and Analyse the large volume of data deeply to understand and deduce a wide range of information about our users
- Transform these insights into actionable reports (~50% of your time would be involved in this activity)
- Anticipate user’s needs based on their past actions, collaborative filters and other data analytics techniques to create highly engaging experiences that increase usage (for new and repeat users) of CK-12 and at the same time increase learning outcomes for our users
- Communicate data insights to the team and recommend concrete actions and inferences to the team
- Provide technical expertise in statistical analysis, mathematical modeling, data mining/machine learning
- Institutionalize user analytics in processes and decision making, both strategic and tactical that will drive to achieve CK-12 mission
- Develop a sound understanding of the Education and Ed Tech market, competitive landscape, industry-wide data, and benchmarks, and create yardstick/milestones for the organization to set or beat
- Analytics is part of our DNA and whatever features we build (or the ones that are live currently) capture enough meaningful analytics for future data mining
- Develop a strong understanding of K-12 content, pedagogies, student learning habits to analyze and inform about content and product effectiveness
- Develop a strong understanding of teacher and student needs, desires and workflows to inform data analytics and analysis
- Have fun while driving innovation through data by challenging the status quo in education and learning and providing creative data-based solutions
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Scientist
- Proficiency in SQL or NoSQL and handling large and messy datasets
- Proficiency in data visualization software and/or libraries (e.g. Tableau, Periscope, matplotlib, etc)
- Proficiency in Pandas, SAS, R, Matlab or other analytics/data mining package
- Experience with mathematical, statistical, and scientific modeling skills
- Experience in segmentation building, predictive analytics, and statistical modeling
- Adept at problem-solving using both textbook methods and novel viewpoints
- Able to work in tandem with business partners and engineering to formulate and solve tractable projects
- Able to translate high-level directions into practical projects and lead/drive their completion with minimal supervision
- Be a data enthusiast and a data skeptic; we need both.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or quantitative discipline
- Able to look outside the organization for new datasets and formulate best practices and metrics to showcase CK-12 capabilities
ADDITIONAL DESIRED SKILLS
- Experience with NoSQL platforms, especially MongoDB (a huge plus)
- Experience with data engineering (Map Reduce platforms, data pipelining, etc)
- Experience at EdTech company or K-12 Educational landscape
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your resume to email@example.com with “Senior Data Scientist” in the subject line.
- It is a full-time position at our office in Palo Alto, CA (no telecommuting)
- The applicant must be authorized to work in the US for any employer